Thursday, September 1, 2011

Being Content


"Nostalgia [nuh-stal-jee-uh]:  A wistful desire to return in thought or in fact to a former time in one's life, to one's home or homeland, or to one's family and friends; a sentimental yearning for the happiness of a former place or time."

It is hard to live in the present.  It seems easier to reflect on past conversations and cherished memories, or to plan for the future and to always be thinking about what is to be done *next*--what one would rather be doing, or even just dreaming about what is to come.  It is difficult to live in the present and to be happy and content with where you are at and what you are doing.

I oftentimes look back on the past and think to myself "I was happy then," or I look forward to something in the future and think to myself "I will be happy then."  Happiness seems so elusive at those moments.  Reflections on the past--whether fond memories or oppressive--are good and serve the heart in determining action in the present moment, or in charting a course of action for a future time.  In contemplating the future, the heart is also warmed by hope and spurred on to action when it aspires and looks forward to some good.  When I forget to live in the present, because I am so caught up in looking back or forward, I actively miss out on real life.

I have decided that living in the present is really the only thing to do.  Living in the now allows for the vision to see that happiness is a choice of the present moment.  Truly, the present is what you really have to work with, and it is a choice that the melancholy heart has to recognize as such and make.  

I have a hard time living here, right now, and being happy with what *is*.  I miss the afternoons that I spent laying out in the pasture with the horses on one of those Indian summer afternoons in early September.  I wish I could go back and spend a Saturday morning at college, curled up in sweatpants with a cup of coffee and visiting with my roommates.  I feel deeply attached to my dreams of the way I expected married life to be.  I look forward to being pregnant, to moving back home, to being surrounded by family and familiar places, etc.  And in all this reflecting, musing and day-dreaming, I fail to see the good of where I am at, who I am with, what I am doing--and that *I am*.  There is so much for me to be happy about right now.  We live in a beautiful, sun-shiny warm place.  I can get a tan every weekend laying out by the pool.  We go for walks along the ocean.  I have time to read lots of good books (Anna Karenina [Tolstoy], Tess of the D'Urbervilles [Hardy], The Coming of Bill [Wodehouse], The Wild Orchid [Undset]).  We watch the yachts and sail boats going in and out at the dock.  I have an herb garden!  My husband plays Monopoly with me.  My family is all on the same phone plan, and we talk every day.  


It takes a conscious effort to live here in the now, and that is something I have to work on--finding myself in the present and choosing to be (letting myself be) happy.

1 comment:

  1. “[In the present] we haven’t so very much time for dwelling on the past. But that’s a small matter–that we haven’t the time.
    The great matter is, that we still have with us all there was of good in our old life, only that we possess it in a new way–
    all the past that is worth continuing to possess.”

    -Sigrid Undset

    ReplyDelete